Clearance & Route Rest.
Comm. Driver License
Comm. Lic. Plates
IFTA (Fuel Tax)
IRP (Int'l Registration)
Laws & Rules
Motor Carrier Training
Size & Weight
UCR (Unified Carrier Registration)
~ IRP - International Registration Plan ~
An International Registration Plan (IRP) license allows a trucker to obtain a single license
plate for operation in any member jurisdiction. There are currently 59 states and provinces
that are members of this Plan. For a list of current members and more detailed information
covering licensing in South Dakota under the International Registration Plan,
go to the:
South Dakota Prorate License Manual (IRP Manual).
As a new trucker applying for an IRP license for the first time, the following forms must be completed and submitted to the address listed below.
(The following two items are only required if reporting estimated mileage in any
jurisdiction. One of these two forms must be completed when estimating mileage in any
- Application for Motor Vehicle Title
- Original Title or MSO
- Bill of Sale or Purchase Agreement
- Proof of residency which consists of:
- Copy of phone bill in registrant's name;
- Proof of insurance on the home or business property located in the state;
- Proof of payment of real estate taxes for current or prior year on described property; or if rented, a copy of the rental contract.
Forms & Licensing:
- To obtain a temporary IRP license, a deposit must be submitted along with the documents indicated above.
To determine the amount of deposit required, click here to view the deposit table.
Interstate Commercial (IRP) - Applications and renewals of International Registration Plan (IRP), International Fuel Tax Agreement, (IFTA), and intrastate credentials
For more information on obtaining an IRP license, please contact:
IRP & IFTA Forms - Forms for licensing under the IRP and IFTA Programs
Department of Revenue & Regulation
International Registration Plan (IRP or Prorate Licensing)
445 East Capitol Avenue
Pierre, SD 57501-3185
Internet: IRP & IFTA